Steve Marshall was sworn in as the forty-eighth attorney general of the state of Alabama on February 10, 2017.
Marshall received his undergraduate education at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and his legal education at the University of Alabama School of Law, graduating from both with academic honors.
Prior to taking office as attorney general, Marshall was the district attorney for Marshall County, a post he held for sixteen years. As district attorney, Marshall helped draft and pass the Brody Act—a law that makes it a homicide to kill an unborn child during an attack on the unborn child’s mother. Marshall later became the first prosecutor to secure a death sentence under the Brody Act (in a case where a man murdered his pregnant wife and was charged with the homicide of both her and her unborn child). Five years later, when this landmark case was on appeal to the Alabama Supreme Court, Marshall—now attorney general—had the privilege of defending that conviction.
As attorney general, Marshall has embraced his role as the state’s chief law-enforcement officer and has committed himself to make Alabama a safer place to live. In January 2018, Marshall launched the Initiative on Violent Crime with the mission to “help cities reclaim their streets, restore the rule of law, and . . . see their communities revived.” Since its launch, the initiative has resulted in the arrests of hundreds of violent offenders.
Marshall was recently elected to the executive committee of the Republican Attorneys General Association, a nod to his demonstrated expertise and leadership on a variety of national policy issues including the opioid crisis, illegal immigration, and religious liberty.
Marshall is a man of deep faith with an impeccable reputation. He is known as a standout in law-enforcement circles. On the day of his swearing-in, nearly every district attorney in the state came to the capital to show their support for him. He has one daughter, Faith, and attends the Church of the Highlands in Montgomery, Alabama.
Known contact information for Steve Marshall from Montgomery, AL.
- Office of the Attorney General Post Office Box 300152Montgomery, AL 36130-0152
- Phone: 334-242-7100
- Official Email: [email protected]
Known educational history for Steve Marshall from Montgomery, AL.
- BA, American Studies, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1987
- Graduated, University of Alabama School of Law
Known political history for Steve Marshall from Montgomery, AL.
- Candidate, Alabama Attorney General, 2022
- Attorney General, State of Alabama, 2017-present
- District Attorney, Marshall County, District 27, 2001-2017
Known professional history for Steve Marshall from Montgomery, AL.
- Former Law Practitioner, Maynard Cooper and Gale Professional Corporation
- Former Legal Analyst, Alabama House of Representatives
- Former Municipal Attorney, City of Arab, Alabama
- Former Prosecutor, Municipal Courts, City of Albertville, Alabama
- Former Prosecutor, Municipal Courts, City of Arab, Alabama
- Owner, McLaughlin & Marshall
Known organizational history for Steve Marshall from Montgomery, AL.
- Attendee, Church of the Highlands, Montgomery, present
- Member, Executive Committee, Republican Attorneys General Association, present
- Co-Chair, Legislative Committee, National District Attorneys' Association, 2014-present
- Campaign Chair, United Way of Marshall County, 2009-2014
- Member, Alabama State Bar Association, 1990-present
- Board Member, Albertville City Schools Foundation
- Board Member, Marshall County Arc
- Board Member, Kids to Love Foundation
- Former President, Alabama District Attorneys' Association
- Founder, Mentor Marshall
- Member, Law Enforcement Coordinating Committee, Northern District of Alabama
- Member, LifePoint Church
- Member, Executive Committee, Alabama District Attorneys' Association
Other Relevant Notes
The below information is relevant to Steve Marshall from Montgomery, AL and was found via our own research, sent to us from Steve Marshall, or sent to us from readers like you.
- Switched from Democrat to Republican, 2011
Steve Marshall from Montgomery, AL has participated in elections listed below in the state of Alabama.
The below links are relevant to Steve Marshall from Montgomery, AL and are articles or opinion pieces published on Bama Politics. Are you Steve Marshall? Do you have an opinion on Steve Marshall? Publish an article in our opinion section and your article will appear here. A great way for our visitors to find your content and learn more about your views. Use this contact form to find out how.