The Rev. Dr. Will Boyd is the presiding Bishop of Zion Ministries and pastor of St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church—a 162-year-old church in Florence, Alabama.
Boyd is a former assistant adjunct professor and Dean of Student Success. He was the first African American elected to the office of City Councilman in Greenville, Illinois. In 2016, he served as the Democratic nominee for U.S. Representative of Alabama’s Fifth Congressional District. Not long thereafter, he was elected chairman of the Lauderdale County Democratic Executive Committee. Desiring to serve God and country, Boyd ran for the U.S. Senate seat won by Senator Doug Jones in 2017. Following the U.S. Senate primary, Boyd was elected to Alabama’s State Democratic Executive Committee. Unopposed in the 2018 Democratic primary, Dr. Will Boyd became the nominee for Lt. Governor (D-Alabama). Boyd is now a candidate for U.S. Senate in Alabama.
Boyd was born in Florence, South Carolina. He graduated from Mayo High School and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering at the University of South Carolina. He later earned a Master of Business Administration (MBA) at Regis University, a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Religion from Christian Bible College, a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Organization and Management from Capella University, and a Doctor of Psychology with a Christian worldview (PsyD) from St. James The Elder Theological Seminary. Boyd received honorary doctorates in Divinity and Christian Counseling before being awarded a diplomate in Traumatology from St. James the Elder Theological Seminary whose President was the late and well-respected psychologist, Dr. Heyward Ewart.
Boyd served as the local chapter President of the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) while at the University of South Carolina, as an Engineering Student Assistant at South Carolina Electric and Gas, Company, and a South Carolina House of Representative Page to Former State Representative Denny Neilson (D).
Before transitioning into “full-time ministry” and public service, Boyd worked in the United States and The People’s Republic of China, serving as a Manufacturing Engineer, Production Manager, and Quality Manager A.O. Smith Water Products Company, Fedders Corporation, and International Filter Manufacturing.
Boyd is a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Incorporated and served in several offices in his local chapter, including Keeper of Records and Seal, Vice Basileus, and Basileus.
Boyd is a consecrated Patriarch and International Presiding Prelate with oversight of churches around the world. Prior to receiving the rank of the patriarch, Boyd was elevated to the rank of metropolitan archbishop and then cardinal-bishop. He was consecrated into these ecclesiastical offices by the late Patriarch Paul (former head of the Holy Catholic Church International)--placing him in apostolic succession which traces Boyd's bishopric back to the original apostles of Jesus Christ.
Boyd also served on a number of boards in Illinois and Alabama including the Board of Directors for the Health Care Authority of Lauderdale County and the City of Florence, Alabama.
Boyd’s higher education experience includes serving as Dean of Student Success & Adjunct Assistant Professor of Management at Greenville College and Chancellor at St. James the Elder Theological Seminary. He published three books entitled: Scratching the Surface; Can You Hear Me Now? How Active Listening and Continuous Articulation of Core Values Can Improve Leadership Effectiveness in Any Organization, Even the Church; and Watch God!
The Most Rev. Dr. Will Boyd is married to Vida Boyd. They have three children and reside in Hoover, Alabama.
Known educational history for Will Boyd from Florence, AL.
- PsyD, Christian Clinical Psychology, Saint James the Elder Theological Seminary, 2014-2015
- PhD, Christian Clinical Psychology, Dayspring Christian University, 2013
- Doctor of Science, Christian Counseling, St. James the Elder Theological Seminary of the Holy Catholic Church International, 2012
- PhD, Organization & Management, Capella University, 2005-2007
- MBA, Business Administration and Management, General, Regis University, 2001-2003
- PhD, Religion, Christian Bible College, 2003
- BS, Engineering, University of South Carolina, 1989-1994
Known political history for Will Boyd from Florence, AL.
- Candidate, United States Senate, Alabama, 2010, 2022
- Candidate, Lieutenant Governor of Alabama, 2018
- Candidate, United States House of Representatives, Alabama, District 5, 2016
- Council Member, Greenville, Illinois City Council, 2009-2011
Known professional history for Will Boyd from Florence, AL.
- Chancellor, Saint James the Elder Thological Seminary, 2012-2016
- Co-Patriarch/Dean of the HCCI College of Cardinals, Holy Catholic Church International/Saint James the Elder Theological Seminary, 2012-2016
- Pastor, Saint Mark Missionary Baptist Church of Florence, Alabama, 2013-present
- Dean of Student Success/Adjunct Assistant Professor of Management, Greenville College, 2004-2010
- Quality Manager/Manufacturing Engineer, International Filter Manufacturing Corporation, 2002-2004
- Production Manager, Fedders Corporation, 1999-2002
- Patriarch & Metropolitan Archbishop, Zion Ministries, 2001-present
- Manager In Training, A.O Smith, 1995-1999
- Engineering Student Assistant, South Carolina Electric and Gas, 1991-1994
Known organizational history for Will Boyd from Florence, AL.
- Chairman, Lauderdale County Democratic Executive Committee, 2017-present
- Member of Board of Directors, Health Care Authority of Lauderdale County and the City of Florence, Alabama, 2016-present
- Member, Alpha Pi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Incorporated
Will Boyd from Florence, AL has participated in elections listed below in the state of Alabama.
The below links are relevant to Will Boyd from Florence, AL and are articles or opinion pieces published on Bama Politics. Are you Will Boyd? Do you have an opinion on Will Boyd? Publish an article in our opinion section and your article will appear here. A great way for our visitors to find your content and learn more about your views. Use this contact form to find out how.