- Location: Lineville, AL - Clay County
- Birthday: November 17, 1937 82
- BS, Livingston State University
- ED, Jacksonville State University
- Majority Whip, Alabama State Senate, 2011-2018
- Senator, Alabama State Senate, District 13, 1983-2018
- Candidate, Alabama State Senate, District 13, 2006
- Former House Member, Alabama State Legislature
- Brigadier General, Alabama National Guard, 1959-1997
- Teacher/Coach, Lineville High School
- Self-Employed, Real Estate Developer, present
- Executive Director, Alabama Rural Action Commission, 2007-2010
- Chair, International Motor Sports Hall of Fame Commission
- Former Member, Rules Committee, Alabama State Senate
- Former Member, Local Legislation Committee, Alabama State Senate
- Former Member, License Plates Legislative Oversight Committee, Alabama State Senate
- Former Member, Health and Human Services Committee, Alabama State Senate
- Former Member, Veterans and Military Affairs Committee, Alabama State Senate
- Former Member, Children First Trust Fund Legislative Oversight Committee, Alabama State Senate
- Former Member, Permanent Legislative Committee On Reapportionment, Alabama State Senate
- Former Member, Permanent Joint Transportation Committee, Alabama State Senate
- Former Member, Joint Legislative Committee on State Parks, Alabama State Senate
- Former Member, Finance and Taxation Education Committee, Alabama State Senate
- Former Member, Transportation and Energy Committee, Alabama State Senate
- President Pro Tempore, Board of Trustees, Troy State University, 1996-present
- School Trustee, 1970-1980
- Chair, Southern Union Foundation Board
- Member, Exchange Club
- Poarch Creek Tribe Proposes to Expand Gambling in Alabama
- Political Advocacy Group Attacks Poarch Creek Indians
No Sponsored Bills
No Sponsored Bills
Volunteer Rescue Squad Tuition Reimbursement Act of 2018, tuition reimbursement program for emergency medical technician or paramedic certification established
Chambers Co., sheriff, compensation, increased, Sec. 45-9-230.01 am'd.
Military Family Jobs Opportunity Act, professional licensing boards required to issue licenses and certificates to military spouses who hold licenses and certificates from other states, required to issue temporary licenses and certificates in certain instances when other state has lesser requirements, Sec. 31-1-6 am'd.
State sales and use tax increased, phase-in period, sales and use tax on food phased out, exempt by 2021, counties and municipalities prohibited from increasing sales tax on food, Secs. 40-23-2, 40-23-61 am'd.
Insurance, title insurers authorized to form rating bureau for purposes of filing rates on behalf of members, Secs. 27-13-140 to 27-13-146, inclusive, 27-25-6.1 added; Secs. 27-13-2, 27-25-6 am'd.
Clay Co., tobacco tax, distrib. further provided for, Act 2017-65, 2017 Reg. Sess., am'd; Sec. 45-14-244.07 am'd.
Taxation, sale of tax liens, tax liens authorized to be sold at auction to the bidder with the lowest interest rate, Secs. 40-10-199, 40-10-200 added; Secs. 40-10-180 to 40-10-198, inclusive, am'd.
EMS personel, revise licensing process to authorize criminal background checks, revise licensing fees, etc., Secs. 22-18-4, 22-18-6 am'd.
Employees' Retirement System, retirees, one-time lump-sum additional payment
Motor vehicles, distinctive license plate, owners may authorize release of personal information to sponsoring organization,including colleges, Secs. 32-6-64, 32--6-67 am'd.
Prescription Drug Monitoring Program, revise definitions, create a review committee, Secs. 20-2-211, 20-2-212, 20-2-214, 20-2-215 am'd.
Agriculture and Conservation Development Commission, allocation of funds to soil and water conservation districts, minimum deleted, Sec. 9-8A-5 am'd.
Religious freedom provided for, right to worship, display of Ten Commandments on state property and at public schools, authorized, const. amend.
Post-Traumatic Stress Injury Awareness, recognized
Arthur P. White Memorial Highway, portion of Alabama Highway 35 in DeKalb County, named
Nursing, Board of, anti-competitive rule making, immunity provided, Sec. 34-21-2.1 added
Nursing, Board of, investigators granted power of peace officers, Act 2017-46, 2017 Reg. Sess.; Sec. 34-21-2 am'd.
Nursing, Board of, loan repayment program for advanced-practice nurses, loan program authorized for certain currently certified nurses, Sec. 34-21-96 am'd.
Education, National Guard, a person does not have to be a resident for Alabama Commission on Higher Education to reimburse if in National Guard, include high school students simultaneously enrolled, Federal funds paid to the student may not be considered to determine benefits under Education Trust Fund Appropriation Act, Secs. 16-64-2, 31-10-3 am'd.
Lieutenant Governor, duties and powers over Senate, removed, salary established, const. amend.
Alabama Road and Bridge Rehabilitation and Improvement Authority established to finance road and bridge improvements, authority to issue bonds, etc.
School-based vaccination program, urging State Department of Education to participate in
Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy Patient Safety Act, Alabama Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy Bd created, licensing of limited x-ray machine operators, magnetic resonance technologist, nuclear medicine technologist, radiation therapist, radiographer, and radiologist assistants, provided
Courts, Judicial retirement fund, probate judges, purchase of creditable service provided for, Sec.12-18-84.2 added
Clay Co., co. courthouse, removal of state courts from historical Clay Co. Courthouse prohibited, const. amend.
Competitive bids on public contracts by state agencies and institutions, preference for vendors owned by veterans of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, joint purchasing agreements further provided for, cities and counties authorized to use fleet fuel cards, Secs. 41-16-20, 41-16-21.1, 41-16-27, 41-4-110 am'd.
Senator Trip Pittman Interchange, in Baldwin Co., named
Income tax credits, increase for rural physicians and dentists, Secs. 40-18-130 to 40-18-132, inclusive, am'd.
Cumbus, Alice Griggs, commended
Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, March 2018, recognized
Colleges and universities, state-supported, encouraged to waive out-of-state tuition for dependents of certain disabled service men and women.
Kitchen and Bath Cabinetry Industry, recognized
State income tax, credits, rural physicians and dentists, extension of credit for residing and practicing in areas of critical need, Sec. 40-18-132 am'd.
Hunting, authorize the taking of whitetail deer or feral swine by means of bait, Secs. 9-11-244, 9-11-245 am'd.
Resolution, Local Constitutional Amendment application, Clay Co., sheriff, election to authorize participation in Employees Retirement System
Alabama Trails Commission, progress on Pinhoti Trail, commended
Grace, Rosalyn Taylor, exemplary service, commended
Reapportionment Office, urged to work with Census Bureau to increase awareness of census program
Jere L. Beasley Highway, portion of State Road 51, named
Teachers' Retirement System, retirees and beneficiaries, one-time lump sum funded payment based on years of service, payment in Fiscal Year 2019
State Parking Deck Authority, maturity date for bonds further provided for, specifications of state parking deck altered, transfer to General Fund from Authority's reserve fund, Sec. 41-10-515 repealed; Secs. 41-10-490, 41-10-497, 41-10-502, 41-10-513, 41-10-516 am'd.
Vacancies, United States Senator, temporary appointment by Governor until next general election authorized, Sec. 36-9-7 am'd; Sec. 36-9-8 repealed
Brown, Neal, commended
Education, teachers, time increased for public K-12 teachers to give notice of terminating employment from 5 to 30 days, requirement for postsecondary education employees deleted, Sec. 16-24C-11 am'd.
Brown, Neal, commended
Republic of Korea, host of the 2018 XXIII Winter Olympic Games and XII Winter Paralympic Games, recognized
Don C. East Memorial Bridge, portion of Highway 48 in Randolph County, named
Pinhoti Trail, requesting Dept. of Transportation to place signs in Cleburne Co., for
Borg, Joseph, commended